Thursday 11 September 2014

Learning from Laura Gibbs - Anatomy of an Online Course

Today, thanks to ConnectedCourses, I came across Laura Gibbs' Anatomy of an Online Course. I feel as though I drank an enriching potion on Online learning.

The way, she has used a blog to create and share the entire course content of an online course. Wow! Brilliant. Her 'UnTextbooks' is novel to me. I think, for a long time now, I have been thinking, 'I am waiting for a generous developer who would develop a free user-friendly online tool that would be designed for curating online content for my 6-year old son or K12 in general.

It appears, blog can be a perfect tool for just that!!

2 comments:

  1. Aparna, as you can guess, this post just MADE MY DAY!!! Thank you!!! I am so glad we are connected now with Connected Courses, and yes, the use of Blogger to make the UnTextbook was such an amazing surprise for me! I honestly wasn't sure if it would work or not. I've written a lot about that at my Digital Tools blog as I documented the experiment that lasted all last summer... partly because I was afraid that the experiment would end in disaster and I would need to learn from my mistakes. But instead it succeeded even better than I had hoped, and I actually ended up with more content in the UnTextbook than I originally planned because of how smoothly everything went. It's an endless project that I imagine I will be working on for a long time (in part because it is so much fun!) ... and I will be so glad if that can be useful to you in starting new online curation adventures for you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Laura for sharing generously online.. I am going to recommend doing this - using blog for curating online content to use for a course.

    I have in the past tried using wiki for this, and it is helpful, except that wiki is not that interactive - it does not encourage conversation - in that way, I guess, blog is more suitable. And, the key lies, in making the blog pages navigable for the learners - like you've done - with a Table of Contents Post - and keeping it reachable from the Blog Home.

    The UnTextbook idea seems to be such a great idea, than using a bookmarking tool to refer online texts - because, with the UnTextbook - you can annotate your thoughts on that text.

    Very Thankful that I cam across your work. :-)

    ReplyDelete